Visual communication design is an innovative work field of the 21st Century that requires evaluating every event as a communication process, adapting any multimedia situation, and combining the fields of communication, media, art, and technology. In its most basic definition; visual communication design is merging design and technology in order to communicate; it involves using creative and theoretical thinking methods to produce a visual language which connects with the desired segment or consumer. Every single one of the visual products within that enormous division of language are designed with a function, and therefore a purpose.
Visual communication designer connects his/her design knowledge and ability, aesthetical sense, and critical thinking philosophy on digital environment when needed with animated visuals, sound gadgets, and 3 dimensional applications. Visual communication designer must commune with the technology. Besides that, visual communication designer is a communication specialist who understands targeted consumer group and think strategically with that understanding. Designer must produce strategical solutions in order to create competitive and sustainable products within the global market.
Department of Visual Communication Design in Yeditepe University’s Faculty of Communication has met the ever rising need for visual communication designers since its establishment in 2001. The department trains communication designers who can create strong communication strategies and turn knowledge into creative design products.
Yeditepe University Department of Visual Communication Design has a curriculum comprising 3 dimensional animation, interactive design, video making amongst others. Its competence to generate working field situations within that curriculum gives students experience around different branches of visual communication design, and also allows students to pick a suitable branch for them to master via projects and studio works.
“Fall Meetings in Design”, “Spring Meetings in Design”, various seminars and workshops, “End Year Student Exhibition” which changes theme in every year, and projects carried out by the agency of the department “Atelier Root” grants students much needed experience and competence for the professional life.
We; as the department, are proud of our former students who works successfully in the top firms within local and global fields, and we are eager to see you within our ranks.
Our students are expected to:
- Turn their theoretical and practical knowledge into meaningful, timely, and authentic design products by using their imagination.
- Produce design solutions focusing on aesthetics.
- Qualify within the technological domain as required in the 21. Century, and give them the ability to produce contemporary, creative, and critical works by employing different branches of the occupation.
- Have professional and sectoral experience within the Visual Communication Design field.
- Develop a critical, analitical, and solution oriented approach that is much needed for visual communication design applications.
- Respect the professional ethic rules and human rights; and be a part of their community with their social awareness.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Uses technical and academic knowledge accumulated in visual communication design field for authentic projects.
- Designs 2 and 3 dimensional creative products considering the aesthetic rules.
- Employs efficiently the technical innovations required by the professional field.
- Analyses problems related to the field starting from the concept and develops appropriate projects for the targeted audience.
- Behaves according to the national and international professional ethical principles.
- Builds awareness to universal and social problems by developed projects and offers solutions to them.
- Gains sectoral experience by compulsory internship, relates academic knowledge with field experience.
- Grasps the importance of interdisciplinary working by lifelong learning mind-set and collaborates with different teams.
- Develops concepts, creates work of arts and organizes exhibitions in order to enrich the cultural and artistic accumulation related to the sector.
- Transforms the creative ideas into moving and interactive visual expressions, executes multi-dimensional designs.
Assoc. Prof. Dr. Neda Üçer // Head of Department